السبت، 13 ديسمبر 2008

Where to go in Rome

Where to go in Rome

Where to visit in Rome, St. Peter's Square is a good place to start.
Where to go in Rome
There are literally thousands of websites, books, articles etc, on this Eternal City. I didn’t read any of them before I went. I wanted to soak up the atmosphere all by myself, and only then would I buy a tourist book to investigate further if I felt the need.

I’m so pleased I did it this way because I would have missed so much. Like the Sunday morning I visited St Peter’s Square (Piazza di San Pietro) and the Vatican. Looking up on arrival at the famous Piazza, I’m surrounded by 140 Saints peering down on me!

Looking around me I’m slowly being surrounded by thousands of people, there’s no rushing or pushing, Italians move quickly with style, it was just a quiet gathering coming together in one special place.

Then at the 11am on the dot, the Pope appears from his window of his apartment, the whole audience of about 50,000 people burst into song with the Vatican Hymn, a very emotional occasion, which I would have missed, had I have listened to previous visitors, who advised me not to visit on a Sunday as it would be too crowded!

If you’re going to take a break in Rome, and want to know the best place for real Italian food, i.e. what the Italians eat themselves, have a chat with the locals (shopkeepers are a great source of information and most can get by with our language, especially if you need feeding), or find a friendly receptionist at your hotel, they will direct you to a good Trattoria, where generally there’s no menus, wine comes in a decanter, and one of the chef’s will probably come to your table to get your order. But it’s much less informal than a ristorante and much cheaper, and the food is freshly cooked.

Another good tip is when you book in at your chosen hotel ask the receptionist if there are any free upgrades. You could end up with an Executive room at no extra cost! Not every hotel will do it, but it is possible if they’re available. Or ask for a reduction on an upgraded room, again, this absolutely fine, subject to availability. It really does pay to go early in the year or out of season. I first went in March and it was T-shirts all weekend.

Just a last word, if you are going to the Colosseum, it is best to join a group with a guide, you’ll learn so much more, and don’t hover near the Roman Centurions outside, they’ll beg you for a photo, then chase you round the Colosseum for payment!
Cooking with the Joneses
Italian and not so Italian cooking

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق